After completing this course, the licensee should be able to:
• Describe a typical collection system layout.
• Name the three types of pumping stations currently in use and explain how they differ.
• Use the following terms in an explanation of pump operation: impeller, shroud, volute case, stuffing box, shaft sleeve, wearing ring.
• Name the importance of a pump station ventilation system.
• Demonstrate the necessary procedures to follow before pump start-up.
• Name the two basic parts of a hand-cleaned bar screen and explain their functions.
• Describe the operation of a mechanically cleaned bar screen.
• Explain why grinders are used and how they are maintained.
• Compare and contrast a rotating drum comminutor and a stationary screen comminutor with an oscillating cutter.
• Explain how a barminutor combines the functions of a bar screen and a comminutor.
• Give examples of important safety rules to follow when working with screening and grinding equipment.
• Tell why grit removal is important.
• Name the three phases of the grit removal process.
• Explain the functions of slide gates and dewatering drains in handcleaned grit chambers.
Show Course ID: 0
- Approved By: Hawaii Department of Health
Jerry previously served the state of North Carolina as a Level III electrical inspector and provided state-approved electrical training for electrical inspectors at both Alamance County and Guilford County (NC) Community Colleges. Jerry taught the Kentucky state-approved four-year electrical apprenticeship programs offered by the Independent Electrical Contractors (IEC) Trade School and Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Trade School, and served the state of Kentucky as a Master Electrician and Louisville Metro Code Enforcement Officer. Jerry is a Certified Distance Education Instructor (CDEI) and NCCER Core and Electrical Curriculum certified instructor. Jerry currently holds North Carolina and ICC electrical inspector accreditations and is recognized by the state of Washington as an approved electrical administrator.